Person in Florida dies after brain-eating amoeba infection, possibly due to sinus rinse with tap water, health officials warn – CBC

March 4, 2023

A person in Charlotte County, Florida, has died after being infected with the rare brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri.

The infection possibly resulted from “sinus rinse practices utilizing tap water,” according to a news release from the Florida Department of Health in Charlotte County. The release was issued in February to alert the public about the infection.

On Thursday, the department confirmed that the infected person has died and officials are continuing to investigate the case.

“An Epidemiological investigation is being conducted to understand the unique circumstances of this infection. I can confirm the infection unfortunately resulted in a death, and any additional information on this case is confidential to protect patient privacy,” Jae Williams, press secretary for the Florida Department of Health, said in an emailed statement.

Read more:

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More