Parents worried about post-holiday school sequel due to COVID-19 – CBC

Neither the province nor Ottawa-area school boards planned closures as of Wednesday morning

Dec 15, 2021

Some parents say they’re worried their children won’t return to the classroom after the holidays — which is what happened after last year’s holiday season — due to rising COVID-19 case counts and messaging from schools.

The Ottawa-Carleton District School Board and Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est (CECCE) have informed families that children should bring all belongings and learning materials with them once the holiday break begins.

In an email to parents, OCDSB staff said the purpose of this is to “help with the cleaning of schools over the break” and to ensure anyone needing to self-isolate once the break is over can still participate in classes.

Director of Education Camille Williams-Taylor told CBC this move also helps students and teachers prepare for the possibility of remote learning to reduce any interruptions to students’ education.

“We recognize over these past two years, if we’ve learned nothing, is to anticipate the unanticipated,” she said.

Read more: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-schools-covid-19-omicron-1.6284285

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More