Second person who travelled with confirmed case tested negative: Canada’s public health agency
May 17, 2026
Canada’s public health agency confirmed a positive case of hantavirus in a Canadian isolating in British Columbia after leaving the cruise ship affected by a deadly outbreak.
In a news release Sunday, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) said laboratory testing conducted by the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg confirmed one passenger, a Yukon resident, tested positive while their travelling partner’s was confirmed negative for the virus after samples were sent from B.C.
The case was first reported publicly by Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, on Saturday, when she said the test had come back with a “presumptive positive” result.
Henry said the passenger, part of a couple from the Yukon who were isolating on Vancouver Island, was hospitalized after developing mild symptoms, including fever and headache, earlier in the week.
Read more: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadian-hantavirus-case-confirmed-phac-9.7202841