Indigenous community members may be eligible for compensation – Times Colonist

If you lived on land that was affected by a drinking water advisory for one year, you may be able to make a claim.

Members of the Cowichan Tribes and other Indigenous communities affected by drinking-water advisories may be able to make a claim for compensation.

Recommended reads for you:

  • Kevin Greenard: Greenard Group end of year checklist
  • Unusual dry spell threatens B.C. reservoir levels

Last year, the courts approved a settlement between Canada and First Nations who were subject to a drinking water advisory that lasted at least one year between Nov. 20, 1995, and June 20, 2021.

The deadline for individuals to submit a claim is March 7.

The settlement includes compensation for affected First Nations and eligible individuals, as well as commitments to fund the construction, operation and maintenance of infrastructure needed to provide regular access to clean, safe drinking water in homes in a quantity sufficient for everyday use, according to a statement from organizers of The First Nations Drinking Water Settlement.

Read More:

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More