A door screwed shut, a tiny window, an ignored smoke alarm, and two lost lives – Thestar.com

Fire service’s report on foster home blaze near Lindsay, Ont., reveals tragic details of two deaths and dramatic rescue.

June 12, 2017

Firefighters arrived at the scene of a raging foster home fire in February to find a caregiver hanging halfway out of a small second-floor window and two victims sprawled on the floor at her feet.

The three were trapped by fire and smoke in the stairway outside the bedroom door of the two-storey Lindsay-area home, according to a Kawartha Lakes Fire and Rescue Service report obtained by the Star.

The only window that opened in the room was “too small for a person to exit.” And a sliding patio door in the room was “screwed shut and unable to be opened.”

Smoke alarms were triggered at the start of the fire but “occupants failed to respond,” the fire report says.

Read More: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/06/12/a-door-screwed-shut-a-tiny-window-and-an-unanswered-smoke-alarm.html

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More